Friday 19 August 2011

A Rye Smile - Sazerac Rye

American and Irish whiskey have always been a struggle for me. Initially out of an ill-informed prejudice born out of an ignorance of the Redbreasts and Van Winkle's out there and too much focus on the Jameson's and Jack Daniels of the world. Both Jameson's and Jack Daniels almost ruined whiskey for me. However the second problem I face is that however much I may appreciate the whiskey, I find the flavour of both Irish and American to be too sickly for me and even half a glass makes my stomach tighten. So for me American and Irish whiskey will always have to be a rare pleasure enjoyed in moderation, but this is not to say I will give up on them. Today's review is of the charming Sazerac Rye whiskey. This, like the Redbreast 12 year old, made me rethink whiskey and I would go as far to say that I could happily manage two thirds of a glass of this fine rye whiskey.

Sazerac Rye
45% - No Age Statement
Nose: Old fashioned English marmalade dominates the nose with marzipan and barley sugar playing the underscore.
Palate: Plenty of citrus fruits, in particular satsuma, with a gentle almond quality.
Finish: Very dry with notes of herbal remedies.
Overall: A lively, vibrant and spicy rye whiskey that will put a smile on your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment